- 8 c peeled, pared, sliced tart baking apples (slightly < 3 pounds apples; Granny Smith are best)
- 1 c golden raisins
- 1 c sugar
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t salt
- generous 1/2 t grated lemon rind
- 3 t fresh lemon juice
- 2 T butter
- Pastry dough for a double pie crust
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 T water
- 1/2 c heavy or whipping cream
Roll out half of pastry dough and place in a 9-inch pie pan.
Combine apple slices, raisins, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon rind separately, and then add to fruit mixture. Turn into pie plate. Dot with butter.
Preheat oven to 425° F. Roll out remaining pastry dough. Cut into strips and layer lattice-style on top of apples. Crimp with bottom crust edge to seal. Mix egg yolk with water and brush over top crust. Pour whipping cream through various slits in the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on rack. Serve warm or room temperature.
Reviews from the workplace:
- Thanks for the pie, it was delicious and it hit the spot!
- Amazingly delicious! I would never have thought to put raisins in, and I really enjoyed the flavor and texture they added.
- 5 start awesomeness,,,loved the raisins
- OMG, it is awesome. I could eat the whole thing myself!