Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

I have been doing some thinking recently and come up with

Things I am grateful for:
  • Parents who are reasonable, supportive, autonomous, and unconditionally loving.
  • Parents who set good examples and taught me to take responsibility.
  • Parents who know how and when to set and relax boundaries.
  • Parents who stayed together.
  • A sister who loves me in spite of herself. Or myself. Or both.
  • An appreciation of vegetables, and an ability to cook them to my own satisfaction.
  • The ability to type—fast.
  • Lifelong friends.
  • Parents of friends who have turned into equally valued friends.
  • Books that can make me laugh. (Thank you David Sedaris.)
  • Google.
  • Cadbury chocolate.
  • Learning to swim at a young age.
  • The US Postal Service.
  • Opportunities to travel.

    Things I regret

  • Never learning a second (or third or fourth) language.
  • Not learning Photoshop in high school, when I had the chance.
  • Never swallowing my pride and asking out any guy I liked.
  • Never shaving my head when it wouldn’t have mattered.
  • Not being able to cook instinctively, like my grandmother.
  • Taking up the flute instead of the oboe.
  • Allowing the world’s technology to creep past me and leave me in its wake.
  • Not getting insurance on my cell phone.
  • Not having had all of my health issues cleaned up the thousands of times I went to the doctor’s when I was still covered by my parents’ health insurance.
  • No comments: