Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Loving Mail

Can I express how much I love receiving mail? Let me count the ways:

1) Tearing open an envelope is second best only to tearing off wrapping paper (but almost as satisfying). 2) Reading a letter is nearly as good as reading a book (and in some ways better, because the words were written just for me!). 3) Shorter than a phone call (which is worse because there’s less information conveyed but better because it means the person took special time to sit down, write those words, and put them in the mail to me). 4) Preservable (and therefore a record of other people’s lives to which I can refer at any time). 5) Tangible (and goodness knows, we are beings of touch, so what is closer to being with a person far away than sending them a work of your own hands?). 6) Sometimes more than just a letter (clothing, books, food . . . the possibilities are endless).

2 comments:

Mom said...

How marvelously well you've described it!

phosda said...

give me your address.