Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

First efforts from Sussex Library

These will be the first "words of wisdom," posted from the University of Sussex library, or "uni" as the students here call it. Most annoying is that every time I want to type the quotation marks key, I keep typing the @ symbol instead, because they rearrange their keyboards here--don't ask me why. Obviously they need the £ key, but other than that, why they need to remove the # symbol and the @ and " symbols also is beyond me.

(I'm not sure if I need to use HTML to write this, so I'll try and see if the commands show up or not.)

What an experiment! I much prefer letters, but I keep repeating myself to my friends, so I figure this might be a better way to keep everyone informed, no? Plus, it will be like a live journal, and I have plenty of thoughts about my stay here in the UK, so it will be a fun way to put them out for the world to read. For example, the reason for the title of my blog: "having a think" is the way they say "think about ___(topic/issue)" here. I absolutely love the differences in language, which I am trying to compile and will post sporadically, as I come across them.

Well, class calls. Hopefully I will not fall asleep. I will e-mail this address to everyone as soon as I can.

No comments: