Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Snapshot Book Review: Catching Fire

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire by

Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Equally as addictive, although slightly more predictable than the first Hunger Games novel, Catching Fire is a worthy and appropriate sequel. After reading this second novel, I am anxious to read the third, and am struck by a very marketing-driven thought: that this publisher should absolutely work on getting a video game out on the market for these books. Because the mere idea of the Hunger Games, never mind the intensity and creativity of the writing, lends itself perfectly to an action-packed video or computer game. In fact, this second novel practically reads like a video game, albeit with a bit more emotion and plot.

My only worry is that I may tire of Katniss' character (and her perpetual second-guessing) or that Collins will disappoint me in whatever she decides for the romantic fate in the love triangle for Katniss, Peeta, and Gail. But I am now positive that Collins will not resort to copying any of Orwell's or Lowry's or Burgess' work, so whatever the third book brings, it should be worth the wait. Because you can bet the libraries will have a considerable waiting list....

View all my reviews >>

No comments: