An excellent recipe for using up leftover cooked chicken or turkey after the holidays. You can add any number of taco-esque condiments such as rice, kidney beans, fresh cilantro, etc. Below, however, is the basic starter recipe. I usually add extra chili powder and salt to taste.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2c onion, chopped (scallions are ideal)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1-2c chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4c salsa sauce (I like to use spicy)
- 1 tsp oregano (ground in mortar and pestle)
- 1/2+ tsp black pepper
- 2 16oz cans chicken broth
- 15.5oz can chick peas
- 14.5 (or larger) can corn
Heat oil at med/high temperature. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes on low heat. Mix in spices. Stir in all remaining ingredients except for corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until warm.
Spoon into bowls, top with shredded cheese/sour cream/guacamole/whatever you please and ENJOY!