Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Losing Identity

From the start, I knew I would miss swimming. I enjoy physical activity of almost any sort, and I have spent the last four years of my life fine-tuning this particular sport. I also find it much more inspiring to engage in sports competitively, along with others pursuing the same training goal; hence, I love being on sports teams. I love the camaraderie of teams, I love the structure, I love the discipline. The time commitment was always difficult to handle—not to mention the physical demands—but the payoff was always worthwhile.

What I did not realize was the sense of identity I gained from being a “college athlete.” I played sports in high school, but I was better known for being an “academic,” so this was not so much a part of my identity. Plus, I had always played sports, ever since grade school, so I never felt any absence in that area of my life. College sports proved to be different, though. I have always admired college athletes, and by swimming on the UR team, I felt as though I was a part of something admirable and important. I loved to be able to say I was a Swimmer in the larger, more official sense of the noun. It made me feel worthy of respect that not every college student was able to earn. I was part of an exclusive club of hard workers, and my own sweat and determination had elevated me to that status.

Now, when people ask me what I do, what am I to say? Everyone in college has a major or two. I work at a coffee shop and as a writing fellow, but these jobs simply do not seem as impressive, as important. They do not constitute a team, and there is little if any sense of fellowship among those involved. When I am asked if I am a swimmer, I always revert to the “I swam for two years” statement. It’s almost like a plea. I did swim. I was that worthy of your admiration and respect.

Now, when I go to the cafeteria, I see the teams sitting at dinner together and sigh with longing. The athletes are part of a clique I want to belong to. I walk around campus, and I can no longer have the self-confident “I am important to the identity of this school” swagger.

Now, I am back at stage one, freshman year, trying to forge a new identity. Yet, as a senior, it seems to late. I will be moving on soon, anyway, into an “adult” life of no teams. Then I will have to define a new standard for gaining admiration and respect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm with you in this blog. i still have friends and my mom, who say that i should be playing football. our reasons behind why we no longer do those things are different, but it's wierd no longer being involved in them.

my thing that surprised me was exactly how much time and energy i put in it. when i stop playin,i thought to myself," what do i do now?"

anyways thats my thoughts

Kelly said...

I was thinking today that sports teams are kind of like sororities. Not in the clique sense, but in the way that you spend a lot of time with these people, working toward a common goal. They both have a uniform--whether it's a jersey or a shirt with letters. It can also most certainly be a strong part of your identity, too. People always have ideas/stereotypes that they associate with groups, whether it is a team, a sorority, an independent organization, or a major.

I still say that I'm a bowler, even though I haven't bowled in a competition in over a year and a half now. :( I still go for fun, but definitely not as much as I used to (5 days a week sometimes). Oh well. When I'm 30 and I have my own bowling alley, I can go whenever I feel like it. :)