Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Trash to Treasure


Don’t be wasteful!
Innovative ideas for your “trash” before you pitch it (all of which I currently employ or have employed in the past):

Cereal boxes:
  • Cut out 3.5” x 5” squares, and vio-la! You have a set of unique postcards
  • Cut off the narrow side panels. Long skinny cardboard rectangles = pretty recycled bookmarks

    Fuze beverage bottles:
  • Remove the wrapper from the glass bottle. Wash glass bottle. Add some water and fresh-cut flowers, place on table or windowsill, and you have produced a very efficient vase. (And, moreover, a much more attractive one than the plastic Coke or milk pint bottles I have seen in some dorm rooms.)

    Page-a-day calendar pages:
  • Instead of throwing out each page when the day is done, turn it over and start a pile on your desk. Instant memos!

    Plastic shopping bags:
  • Wad up as packing material/padding around items shipped in mail parcels
  • Line smaller garbage cans (no reason to buy Hefty brand when these bags come free and equipped with handles!)
  • Use as rain-resistant covering for important materials (books, etc.) when carrying items out-of-doors in inclement weather
  • 2 comments:

    Gordon said...

    I'm of mixed feelings about these. My premise is that reuse is only better than big-R Recycling if you were already going to use the new item you get from reusing an old item.

    I totally do the garbage bag thing with grocery bags, for instance, but I use very few note cards or bookmarks, so I can get away with using more random scraps of paper than planned cut-ups. I also save my calendar pages, 'cause, hey, usually there was something interesting on them.

    JulieEis said...

    i love your reusing ideas...but don't even get me started on environmental stuff. I could talk for hours about living green.

    I got your letter and hopefully will send a reply on Saturday when we get back to the states.