Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Packing

I feel as though the past three years have been one exercise in packing after another: how to fit lamps, tables, books, and clothes into one van; how to make a list of everything I use in my daily life; how to discriminate between things I regularly use and things I own that just give me options. As if I didn’t already have enough decision-making to do in my life, I now have to sort through a lifetime of possessions in order to decide what I intend to use for the next nine months.

That skirt is cute, but will I have any reason to wear it? Maybe I should take another T-shirt, instead. I’d love to read that book, but will I have the time? Class readings need to take precedent, and if I take that book along, it might tempt me to neglect my work. How much stationary should I pack? I could always just use plain paper, but I really like writing letters on stationary. Will it get cold before Thanksgiving? Should I take a coat and forego the third pair of flip flops?

The stress of packing is the fear of forgetting that One Last Thing. You know you’ll be in the car, having already driven an hour or two from home, and suddenly realize that in order to swim every Thursday like you had planned, you are going to need a bathing suit. Or if you wear contacts, and you are about to pull out of the driveway when you suddenly realize that you probably cannot last for three months (until Thanksgiving) without your glasses, so your dad screeches to a halt and you go charging into the garage and up the stairs for that One Last Thing.

I am trying to pack my One Last Thing. But too much other stuff is getting in the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on "stuff!" I totally understand your frustration with packing. Right before I left to come on the ship, I packed up all my stuff and moved out of my room into a closet in my dad's room. In the end, I was just frustrated that I filled the rather generous closet and I felt that I had way too many things. Oh well. At least I didn't overfill the closet. I'm in the process of trying to simplify my life and hopefully find other homes for items I simply don't need. Are you back at school now? Is it the same address as before? Which, by the way, I don't have because I didn't bring an address book with me...